Launiupoko is a favorite hangout and surf spot for tourists and locals alike. Located between Olowalu and Lahaina on the shores of West Maui, head here for a relaxing day of fun in the sun.
The shallow water formed from the surrounding lava rock wall creates calm swimming conditions for small children and adults uninterested in wave action. Longboard surfers love this spot for the fairly consistent break beyond the lava rock wall as well. On rare occasion, swells will squeak through and make for decent shortboarding too.
Launiupoko Beach Park Characteristics
- Best Beach for: Longboarding and Family Picnics
- Dark sandy beach
- Great for relaxed swimming and stand up paddle boarding (SUP)
- Great whale watching and sunset views
- No restaurants within walking distance – pack your own food and drinks
- Public restroom facilities, barbecue grills, picnic tables and grassy areas
- No lifeguards on duty
- Parking available in lot, but fills up quickly
The ilikahi, Old Lahaina House, Lahaina Shores Beach Resort, Lahaina Inn, The Plantation Inn, Best Western Pioneer Inn
World Traveler, Digital Nomad, Small Business Enthusiast, and Lover of words! Originally from Austin, Texas, I’ve lived on Maui for many years. Currently in Los Angeles.