Accessed only by a steep path through a cinder cone that separates it from Big Beach, Little Beach is a picturesque Maui location for those who can brave the fact that it’s a largely nude beach.
Perfect sand, occasional breaking waves and interesting people-watching make this beach a favorite for locals and a must for visitors who wish to experience a true Sunday Funday, Maui style, including drum circles, fire dancing and more.
Little Beach Makena Characteristics
- Best Beach for: Nudity and Parties
- White sandy beach, turquoise water
- Typically crowded, and not large enough to spread out
- Fun Sunday evening beach parties
- Great water quality and visibility
- Fun body surfing area, but has sharp reef on both ends of beach
- Can be good for surfing when south or west swell brings in waves
- Somewhat difficult climb to get there
- Not good for children – rough conditions, shallow reef
- Great whale watching and sunset views
- Not ideal for snorkeling
- No restaurants in area – food truck in parking lot of first entrance to Big Beach
- No public restroom facilities – have to walk back over cliff to entrance of Big Beach
- No lifeguards on duty
- Parking available in first entrance for Big Beach
None, unless you have a friend who lives in a home nearby. The closest resort is Makena Beach & Golf Resort.
World Traveler, Digital Nomad, Small Business Enthusiast, and Lover of words! Originally from Austin, Texas, I’ve lived on Maui for many years. Currently in Los Angeles.