Also known as Turtle Town, Maluaka is a gorgeous location in South Maui, fronting the Makena Beach & Golf Resort. Thanks to the abundant coral reef growing off shore, sea turtles are frequently be seen eating and swimming here, a huge draw for snorkelers and kayakers who hope to catch a glimpse of the beloved Hawaiian honu.
When conditions are calm, the visibility often provides excellent snorkeling. When it’s windy, visibility drops dramatically and you might want to look elsewhere for better conditions.
Maluaka Beach Characteristics
- Best Beach for: Snorkeling with Sea Turtles
- Golden-white sandy beach
- Can be crowded in the water, especially when boats and kayak tours arrive for snorkeling
- Somewhat calm conditions – wind and south swell brings choppy water and breaking waves
- Great snorkeling and scuba diving on south end of the beach – coral begins about 100 yards off shore
- Great whale watching and sunset views
- Only beach-entry cruise point in South Maui with Kai Kanani
- Good option for kids – shade, sandy entrance
- Resort amenities and few resort restaurants within walking distance – concession stand near beach
- Spa services offered near beach for resort guests
- Public restroom facilities at both ends of beach, picnic tables and grassy area
- No lifeguards on duty
- Parking available in lot across from Keawala’i Congregational Church – or on the first right after Makena Beach & Golf Resort
Makena Beach & Golf Resort
World Traveler, Digital Nomad, Small Business Enthusiast, and Lover of words! Originally from Austin, Texas, I’ve lived on Maui for many years. Currently in Los Angeles.