In 1991, Kapalua Bay won the title of America’s Best Beach. With picturesque views, palm trees, golden sand and excellent swimming conditions, this is the kind of beach that comes to mind when you think of Hawaii.
If you want some shade, you need to get there early and know which way the sun travels. This is a great place for kids too. Grab your snorkeling and beach gear, a good chair and/or towel, and spend a gorgeous day outdoors in Kapalua, West Maui.
Kapalua Beach Characteristics
- Best Beach for: Snorkeling and Lounging
- Golden-white sandy beach
- Can be very crowded
- Calm conditions with possible current and gentle breaking waves
- Great for snorkeling, swimming and scuba diving
- Lots of unique underwater life – corals, tropical fish, turtles
- Great for sunset views
- Nearby beach shack with snacks and drinks
- Public restroom facilities at top of trail
- No lifeguards on duty
- Parking available in front of beach path, back rows of Tennis Club or lot at end of Kapalua Place
- See more of the best beaches in Maui, Hawaii.
While there are many accommodation options in the Kapalua Resort area, one of the most luxurious resorts on Maui sits just a stone’s throw away from Kapalua Bay. Perched on a bluff at the northern end of Kapalua Resort is the Montage Kapalua By. This striking luxury resort features 1-4 bedroom high-end condos, award-winning restaurants like Cane and Canoe, a spa boasting tranquil facilities and countless therapies, outdoor infinity pool, among other amenities. In addition to the stunning tropical grounds, opulent accommodations, and high-end service, one of the Montage’s biggest allures is undoubtedly its location steps from the sand at Kapalua Bay.